CRGP has been commissioned by Maxwell Mearns Castle Parish Church to carry out a study of Mearns Castle.
The Grade ‘A’ Listed castle, dating back to 15th century, is thought to be the oldest building in East Renfrewshire and is of special interest at both a local and national level.
On 15th March 1449 James II granted a licence to Lord Maxwell of Caerlaverock Castle, Dumfriesshire ‘to build on his lands lying within the barony of Mearns in Renfrewshire a castle or fortalice; to surround and fortify the same with walls and ditches; to secure it by iron gates; and to erect on top of it all such warlike apparatus as might be necessary for the defence thereof’ (http://www.mearnshistory.org.uk/Mearns.html)
In 1969 Maxwell Church moved from an area now occupied by the Kingston Bridge approach road to a site in Newton Mearns gifted by McTaggart & Mickel. This area included Mearns Castle, a 15th Century fortified house which was ‘A’ Listed by Historic Scotland in 1971. The new church sanctuary building was constructed adjacent to the Castle with connecting access at ground and first floor level and for a few years the Castle was used by the congregation for worship until 1974 when it was virtually abandoned. Today the congregation do not use the castle which is in need of substantial repair work and currently on the ‘Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland’ under the high risk category.
The study will involve carrying out an appraisal of the Castle in its current state and develop a conservation strategy, identifying the critical emergency repair work required.
Phase 1 of the Mearns Castle Project is funded by a Whitelee Wind FarmCommunity Grant and the General Trustees for the Church of Scotland.