Following a major renovation project St George’s Tron Parish Church on Buchanan Street has now re-opened.
St. George’s, now known as St. George’s Tron, was designed by William Stark and built 1807-8. At this time the area was the extreme West End of the rapidly growing city. Today, this landmark building forms an island in Nelson Mandela Place, now a busy thoroughfare for traffic and pedestrians in the heart of Glasgow.
The internal re-modelling of the 200 year old, Grade A listed building involved the creation of a basement level providing flexible meeting rooms, storage, kitchen and toilets. This allowed the ground floor area to be opened up to provide a distinctive and welcoming place in accordance with the brief. Respectful interventions and the incorporation of new materials such as the cherry panelling contrast with the original design in the sanctuary and provide counselling rooms at first floor level.
The contract value was approx. £2M undertaken by the McKean Group Ltd
CRGP carried out the role of Architect and Contract Administrator.