Refurbishment work is now underway at St Peter’s Free Church, Dundee. Situated in the West End Lanes conservation area of Dundee the church is one of the most visited attractions in the city due and is famous worldwide. Hundreds of people come to visit the church each year from as far away as Korea and America due to the connection with Robert Murray McCheyne whose radical ministry there from 1836 came to an untimely end when he died in 1843 of typhus at the young age of 30 and was buried next to the church.
In 1987 St Peter’s was purchased by the Free Church of Scotland but the congregation was in decline and almost closed until it was identified as a ‘redevelopment charge’ in 1992. Since then the congregation has continued to grow and develop under the ministry of David Robertson.
In April 2007 the Deacon’s Court identified the need to carry out refurbishment work to the buildings in order to develop further work with the local community. CRGP were then appointed to design a scheme which improved the overall use of the buildings throughout the week as well as on Sundays.
The initial design concept was to link the 3 elements of the building together to provide a flexible facility which can be used for a variety of activities.
The contract value is £734,000 (excluding VAT and fees) and has been undertaken by W.H. Brown Construction.
CRGP have the role of Architect, Contract Administrator, CDM Co-ordinator and Quantity Surveyor.